My photo
Chelsea has been working seasonally at a local farm stand for the last seven years. Freshly out of college, she's back at The Farm for another year.

10 May 2009

Mother's Day and an Introduction

Today was my first day back at 'The Farm' since finishing school. Sure, I still have odds and ends to tie up before graduation but what really matters is that I got to run around outdoors all day!

As you know, this is Mother's Day weekend and as you may not know, it is one of our busiest weekends all year. Probably the second busiest.
You could definitely tell that today was all about the mothers. There were husbands buying for wives and moms, kids asking what kind of flower they ought to get, and moms out spending some quality time alone preparing for the season. "All I want to do is get some planting done today" was basically what every lone woman was telling me. What joy they must have also playing in the dirt and instilling bursts of color and beauty throughout their spaces. It doesn't have to be Mother's Day for my customers to walk into one of the greenhouses and feel inspired. At least I hope they're feeling inspired. I know I do, even when I have to pick up the trash and weeds, (somebody has to keep it all clean!).

To honor our mom customers, the Farm was giving all mothers a free small ice-cream cone. There was plenty of gratitude from these moms who, on their "day off" (the mothers out there are thinking, "yeah, right"), brought their kids down for a cone and found out that they got one just for being themselves. I had very few refusals.

The people I work with and for are what truly make my job special. From the Big Bosses (Mr and Mrs), to the coworker who returns after a long winter, to the little kid learning currency patiently counting out quarters and nickels; and yes, even the adolescents who decide that this is the year to tackle the problem of authority, even if that authority is merely asking you what kind of ice-cream you want. I've grown up here, year after year finding pieces of myself in the people I meet, the skills I learn, and the problems I overcome. It's amazing that what was once a hope to work at the Farm became "Oh my God, I have a job there!" which then led me to the feeling of having a second home.


A scattered writing for my first entry but I hope you stick around.
Tomorrow's weather looks like partly cloudy with a high of 67. My kind of day! Unfortunately, I won't be at work again until the weekend so check back then for another update.

And of course, Happy Mother's Day to all the moms!!

Have a nice day!
-Chelsea


4 comments:

  1. oh how darling! just darling, i say!
    i like how you have tomorrow's weather at the end. i hope that is a constant fixture for your entries... it will be very convenient to my life. i rather read this than the weather.com website any day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are amazing! not only will i follow, but you are now listed as a "blog that i enjoy". i am so proud. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new blog!!! it's precious...great "first post"!
    Many Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how cool!! you are your mother's daughter...saying a cool day is your favorite kind of day... my favorite kind of day is around 85 degrees :D :: hugs ::

    ReplyDelete